Pages

15 July 2010

Vision - Vision/Mountain in the Sky

Finally, after 25 years, one of my favorite releases is finally remastered and on CD. The self titles Vision release is HERE! And a bonus, as their first release that I never could get my hands on, is also available. And word has it a third unreleased album is forthcoming. I was thrilled to finally get my hands on these, and hope you all grab your copies, as they are limited editions.

In 1985, I stumbled across this album in the local Christian book store. The dark figures, the smoky cover, they looked like they might rock enough to satisfy me, so I grabbed it. About ten years later, I found a company that for a fee, would bounce vinyl to CD and clean it up a bit, so I quickly sent this and other albums to them. Now, I can replace that edition with this true remastered CD quality.

For those of you not already familiar with the history of this band, I will give a small tidbit of information. This 1985 album contained some amazing tickling of the keys by then-former Lynyrd Skynyrd member Billy Powell. This album was released in between the years of Skynyrd plane crash ending, and before the 1987 reunion show that eventually led to a continued career for the band and the man, up until his death in January 2009.

On this album, they obviously took advantage of Powell's skills, letting him loose for some stellar moments of playing. The whole band are top-notch musicians, and they rock (with heavy southern rock leanings), and the lyrics are very upfront and Christian. Songs include:

Dynamos - a great fast paced opener with an awesome piano solo where Powell shines, that leads right into a very tasteful guitar solo.

Lord is My Joy - a mid-tempo bluesy rocking praise number.

Old Man - mid-tempo though slightly more laid back, the keys and piano shine throughout, while the rhythm plods forward.

Dedicated - is another one with a slightly slower pace, with an almost bluesy jazz feel.

Soldiers Song - is a slow, smooth, yet still powerful feeling tune. This surely would have gotten ligthers up in the air at a concert, as you can feel the energy and passion.

Standing on the Rock - back to high energy, mid-tempo anthem that would surely get the audience pumping.

Don't Say It's Over - is another smooth mid-tempo rocking tune, with a real southern rock flair.

Psalm 23 - is an expected ballad, but with moments of energy that make this one of my favorite renditions of Psalm 23 that I have heard.

You Are My Only Lord - back to another high energy rocker with real praise worthy lyrics

You're the One - ends the album with a real bang, being another high paced rocker with blazing keys shining throughout, and I love the guitar/key/sax solo.


I love this whole album, ever 25 years later, it is still fun and touching to listen to.

I was equally as excited to finally get my hands on a copy of their first independent album Mountain in the Sky. Having never been able to acquire a copy of this back in the day (I seem to recall even calling and speaking to front-man Rocco's mother who told me she didn't think they had anymore), it is a thrill to have this on CD. It turns out a few of the songs appeared here before making it to the label produced second album (Old Man, Dynamos, Dedicated, Soldier's Song, and Lord is My Joy).

Upon tossing this CD in, I was struck with a slightly different feel to the band's music. The violin was more predominant on this release, and over all it has a much more bluesy, southern feel to it. Even the repeated songs, though basically the same structure wise, sound and feel a bit different as expected. More raw and a bit more emotional and heart-felt; you can feel the passion of a young band making their first album and pouring heart and soul into it. The second release brought us a band ready to hit it with great production and songs that are more tried and true; but the early stages have a very special feel.

One other very interesting note about this first release, is not only was Billy Powell present, but per the story inside, he was brought on board by the then bass player for the band Leon Wilkeson. As most of you may know, Leon was the bass player for Lynyrd Skynyrd, so bring former band mate Billy in on this project would seem natural. As bonus tracks on this release, there is a testimonial track from both Leon and Billy. With the passing of Leon in 2001, and Billy in 2009, these tracks are even that much more special. Other songs include:

Mountain in the Sky - this opening track struck me immediately with it's heavy combining of southern rock and jazz. I immediately knew I was going to love this release, and wished I had gotten a copy back in the day.

Coming Soon - an energetic blues rocking number about the Lord's return

Standing in the Light - with sounds harking back to the gritty rock of the late 70's, this is a mid tempo tune with a real classic rock feel.

Fight the Good Fight - slightly slower, yet powerful rocker with a bluesy attitude

I now really like this album for totally different reasons than I do the other. Just the raw, gutsy, bluesy, classic rocking feel makes me see this as a whole different band.Both albums are great, but for different reasons, and each may appeal to different crowds.

THANK YOU BORN TWICE RECORDS for these amazing releases

No comments:

Post a Comment